Anti-rush: think before you go Greek

ChrisWebCollege Greek life is becoming more and more prevalent on Illinois State University’s campus. We are nowhere near as Greek affiliated as other major universities around the country, but we are slowly heading down that path to becoming a major Greek life “power.”

With that being said, students would be better off dissociating themselves with Greek life. It should be noted that I am not a part of Greek life, and my opinion is based off of observation, research and the numerous conversations I have had with people who are involved in fraternities and sororities.

I’m not writing this article to spread false rhetoric that Greek life is evil and should be banned all across the country. I am simply writing this to make sure students are aware of the consequences of joining such an organization.

First of all, Greek life contributes to society in a variety of beneficial ways. Joining Greek life ensures networking for students after they graduate. It is an excellent element to put on one’s résumé and, according to William Hageman of the Chicago Tribune, joining Greek life can connect you with “the network of former fraternity or sorority members in the business world.” Fraternities and sororities also raise millions of dollars for a variety of different charities all across the country.

On the other hand, joining Greek life can have disastrous effects on a student’s confidence; sense of self-worth; individualistic morals and beliefs; and bank account.

Most people have heard at least one horror story of Greek life hazing. Hazing can include verbal and physical abuse, forcing hopeful members to use mass amounts of drugs or alcohol or participate in unwanted sexual acts and many other disturbing punishments in order to gain “trust.”

According to www.greeklife.uconn.edu, 44 out of the 50 States currently have anti-hazing laws established. However, horrifying hazing incidents still occur behind the closed doors of fraternity and sorority houses. Just because laws prohibit such a thing from happening, they do not 100 percent guarantee that it will not happen. According to the same website mentioned above, since 1970 there has been at least one hazing death on college campuses every year.

Students who join a fraternity or sorority also have the risk of becoming a part of “groupthink.” Groupthink is a psychological phenomenon where groups of people begin to think as a single entity, instead of individually. This happens because people are afraid to express their own beliefs or opinions, because they want to fit in with the others.

Participation in groupthink meshes everyone into an amoebic blob, where everyone looks and acts the same. Individuals that join Greek life run the risk of not standing out anymore, and essentially becoming another sheep in the flock.

On top of all this, Greek life is a huge financial commitment. Most of us college students do not have two pennies to rub together, and a financial burden such as frat or sorority life would devastate our bank accounts. Events, dances, housing and gear all costs money most of us do not have at this point in our lives, making Greek life a very poor investment at this point in time.

Greek life definitely has its benefits. It’s not just pure chance that it is becoming the norm on college campuses. There are many students out there that see the potential in joining Greek life, but I just cannot find enough positives to outweigh the negatives.

Greek life is not for everybody, and it is definitely not for me. If you have any doubts whatsoever in regards to Greek life, it is probably in your best interest to acknowledge those doubts and stay away from it. Do not get caught up in the moment; think before you rush.

Chris Chipman is a junior english major and  columnist for The Vidette. Any questions or comments regarding his column can be sent to dv_cdchipm1@ilstu.edu.

Pro-rush: going Greek can be a good thing

78 Responses

• Mingve

When i checked it was cheaper for me to live in my frat house than to live off campus

• Blah

In no way was an article like that more reasonable or valid that this one posted. I don’t hold very strong anti opinions on either side but if it’s a matter of professionalism and factual evidence, a sarcastic asss article that seemingly written by a way too enraged guy that frankly needs to take a chill pill, and from of all places “total frat move”, isn’t a stronger argument. I love Greeks and all they do for our campus communities but if you want to maintain that, don’t be negative in a response article than the one you’re trying to disprove. You just lost support.

1. Chester Pennyworth

I honestly put more effort into making this comment than the author did ‘researching’ his misleading slander-piece of Greek Life in American Universities

2. Steve

This is one of the most misinformed and poorly thought out pieces of writing I have ever laid my eyes on. You used almost no facts when citing negative aspects of Greek life, and the “facts” you did site were complete conjecture and totally out of context. I would strongly consider changing majors if were you, Chris, because writing based on facts, research, and common sense simply is not your strong suit.

3. TheDude

whats the matter Chipman no body give you a bid card? slanderous journalism at its finest.

4. Connelly

Clearly you did little to no research on actual modern day greek life and should be ashamed to call yourself a journalist while standing behind this misinformed, biased article that is based on nothing more than your own assumptions. Watching animal house and hearing hazing horror stories that are decades old and have been embellished and passed by word of mouth for 20 years does not qualify as research, just to let you know. Of course hazing still exists in extreme cases, but that’s true for any organization, not just greek life. I’ve actually witnessed more non-greek groups of friends get belligerent and encourage eachother to do dangerous acts WAY more than those who are greek affiliated. In my chapter not only do we look out for eachother, but we are expected to hold a certain standard of conduct befitting of our organization. An organization we are very proud of, one that has brought me not only business connections, but life-long friends that I never would have bonded with like I have were it not for greek life. Rushing is a daunting and hard decision for anyone, it is an exploration to see if greek life is for you, a chance to realize the stereotypes in this article died years ago and it is something everyone should be able to choose to experience. Who the HELL are you to tell anyone that they shouldn’t investigate something new and different that could interest them? Just because you don’t find it interesting doesn’t mean diddly-squat especially since you base your opinions on hear-say and little to no research. Yeah, we party. So do the foreign bio-med students who live below me. And do you want to know how many of their GDI friends I’ve seen get sick and wander off alone? Too many to count. Do you know how many times my sisters have let me do that? Zero. Maybe this is rude, but I find it absolutely insulting that you’re discouraging other people from doing something that I have found to be worth every penny, minute, and ounce of energy I’ve given it and more. Maybe if you had bothered to ask greeks their experiences and thoughts they could have given you a more informed opinion because most of us are not only proud of our letters, but grateful for making the choice to wear them every single day we do.

5. Frank

I find it ironic that this article is only getting attention because of the TFM counter article…

6. Madison

I’m honestly surprised that the school newspaper editor let this piece hit print. Besides the blatant lack of fact checking and obvious attempts at fear mongering, the piece lacked the structure of a persuasive piece of writing. Was this thrown together for a last minute for a deadline?

7. Turd Ferguson

“Events, dances, housing and gear all costs money most of us do not have at this point in our lives”… Correction: money YOU do not have.

8. Ethan

This is pure slander, pretty shocking the editor would allow this. Releasing this the week rush starts nonetheless, garbage writing.

9. John

Hazing exists just as much, if not more, outside of Greek life than it does in Greek organizations. On my campus, the hazing horror stories I hear about always come from the athletic teams/clubs. As for the cost, in my fraternity, the dues and rent combined were cheaper than living on campus, and I wouldn’t be surprised if that was the case at many universities. As for group think, we had 3+ hour meetings on occasion to debate various sides of important issues, and while 3+ hour meetings sounds bad, trust me, it teaches you how to communicate your points effectively and how to deal with disagreement in a business setting, which is highly valuable upon graduation. Fraternities teach discipline, leadership, interpersonal skills and lead to lifelong friendships and wonderful memories with your brothers, as well as encouraging philanthropic behavior. I am a much better person now than I was when I joined, and the same goes for every single one of my brothers.The positives, in my opinion (yeah, it’s biased, I know, but so is the article), far outweigh the very few and minor negatives.

• ChodeMan

yeah…. this is a column. if you don’t understand what that means, it’s his opinion.

10. Daniel M

It’s nice to see that you at least stated that this is your opinion and may be biased before continuing. As stated above much of the information in this article is very jaded and shows a very one-sided opinion. A good news article should include information on both points of view fairly equally and should be as neutral as possible so as to inform rather than to persuade people. If an article tries to push a person’s opinion on others it’s closer to propaganda than news. You did make some valid, if a little dated, points about greek life and, as a greek, let me be the first to say that hazing does still exist to some extent. However, as stated above, hazing is much milder these days than in years past and is found in any social group, including groups of friends, and is not unique to greek life. I’ve heard worse horror stories from friends who’ve joined choirs, bands, or sports teams than anything I experienced while pledging.
    Speaking of pledging, thats where the negatives you mentioned would come into play, not rush. Rush, or recruitment as it’s now often called, is basically the time before you get a bid and pledge where you attend multiple events at multiple organizations to get to know the brothers/sisters, the house as a whole, and the ideals of the organization. Rush carries no commitment and is simply for getting potential members exposed to greek life so they can make an informed decision about whether or not they want to pledge if they are given a bid. There’s no commitment, no hazing, and almost never any cost to potential members to attend rush events. Another benefit of rushing is making friends with people who are in greek organizations. Those friendships usually don’t end if you decide to pledge another house or not to pledge at all making rush events a great way to meet other people both greek and non-greek.
    As for the costs of going greek, often times the benefit getting to live in the chapter house can actually make it cheaper to join and live in the house than to not join and stay on campus or live somewhere else. The thing is, those in greek organizations are in the same boat as everyone else, financially speaking. Sure some of them may be better off financially than the average student, but there are also plenty of people who “don’t have 2 pennies to rub together” as you put it. Most greeks are simply average students when you look at it and are no different from everyone else on campus aside from being greek.
    One final point is a few of the other benefits you get from joining a greek organization. You have brothers/sisters who will always have your back and who, generally, will be the best and most supportive friends you could ask for. Even if you don’t know another member of your house very well they’ll usually go out of their way to help and support you if you need it because you’re a part of the same house. In addition, greeks tend to have higher GPA’s than non-greek students because most greek organizations have standards for keeping grades up and study tables or other programs to help you if you’re struggling. You also learn valuable leadership, networking, and personal and time management skills that you wouldn’t learn anywhere else. Now, I’m not saying that everybody should go out and attend every rush event just because they can, and I’m not saying that there aren’t houses that still haze or that still cause problems because there are. Finding out which houses to avoid can be a part of rush and many student probably know which houses these are by their reputation on campus. All I’m saying is that attending rush events isn’t likely to do any harm aside from possibly wasting some time if the house turns out to be someplace you don’t enjoy being, and even then you’ve at least learned to stay away from there. Greek life certainly isn’t for everyone and the whole point of rush is for students to get the information they need to make a smart decision about whether or not greek life is right for them and whether or not they’re interested in joining.

11. Andy

Having graduated and been in the work force for a number of years, I can say that being a part of my fraternity significantly changed my life for the better and taught me skills for the business world that are priceless professionally. It’s a shame that 18 year olds with no true life experience get a free outlet to pour out drivel to the public like this. Your article is terribly written. It has little to no research to back up your negative viewpoints. I have a hard time thinking that you did any “observation” at all, with the exception of watching Van Wilder 4-5 times before you started writing this article.

Some professional advice- when you are putting together your pieces for your portfolio for newspapers in a number of years, keep this piece of “journalism” as far away from your sampled writings as possible. Either that, or stick to your own advice: “acknowledge your doubts” as a writer, and never publish anything again.

12. JP

To be fair, this is more of an op-ed piece than news reporting, and it is under this site’s “viewpoint” section, so I don’t think this GDI or his editor were trying to present it as anything other than mere opinion. That said, if you are making a single-sided case for your point of view, there are these things called facts that I hear people really like to be presented with when you’re trying to convince them to do or not to do something. Were I a betting man, I would also guess that these same people probably feel like you’re insulting their intelligence when you try to make some sanctimonious argument without any actual statistics.

13. Greek Student

This is just plain wrong, what I want you to do some research on is the money raised for philanthropy or maybe the fact that over 50% of OUR student government is affiliated with Greek life. Our Greek life is small and has problems within it. The last thing we needed is an article such as this to give biased facts to turn away future Greek members. I’m disappointed by this and so is the rest of the countries Greek life as you can see by TFM’s counter argument. I don’t fully agree with everything they said either but this should show you, and everyone else that has such strong hatred for Greek Life, that there truly is brotherhood and sisterhood in Greek life. What other collection of organizations would have national support for each other such as this.

• ...

if you read the paper there was a bias “pro greek” article directly next to this one.

14. WineAndSilverBlue

This article was astoundingly bad. Your ignorance and blatant lack of research are shocking and really quite embarrassing. I cannot even believe this was published. Next time you want to throw a temper tantrum and tell everyone about how “awful” greek life is, do some research. Maybe then you won’t look like such a pathetic fool.

15. Ken

I stopped taking this article seriously after reading, “my opinion is based off of observation, research and the numerous conversations I have had with people who are involved in fraternities and sororities.” which I should also add you did not specify one bit. Observe how? Who exactly did you have conversations with and in what way are they “involved” in Greek life? It is obvious your only motive was to bad-mouth one of the strongest groups on our campus in an ignorant, biased, and poorly written article.

No bid.

16. Sarah

Literally nothing you said convinced me that you “researched” anything. Greek students are held to MUCH higher standards than non-greeks and we hold each other accountable for everything.
    I’m sorry you’ve watched movies that portray Greek life in such an inaccurate light because nothing you said in this “article” holds any weight at all.

17. News Flash

Excuse me just for a second, all of you bashing this column. NEWSFLASH PEOPLE: a viewpoint column means stating your own OPINION. This article appeared on the Viewpoint page of the paper. So before you go commenting a hateful statement concerning this columnist’s journalism skills or anything relating to what he said in his article, take that fact into consideration! I myself am a member of the Greek community; however, I believe that everyone is entitled to their own opinion whether it be for or against joining Greek life. And, that is exactly what Chris did in his column.

18. Howard

Hi I am freshman at ISu I wan 2 rush. I hear dough that u will b tortured by your frens if you try 2 rush. I had 1 experence when I was young dough now I like 2 be tortured. I think this is why I wan 2 rush, but is this bad dough? Idk, if u are in frat at ISU please message me I wan 2 kno more about rushhin!

19. Colton

Howard,

My name is Colton and I am the president of a frat at ISU! Yes, we do “torture” some of our pledges, but only for fun. If you say you enjoy being tortured then rushing certain frats can be a very enjoyable experience! We usually have different types of activities that our pledges do that can inflict harm physically and mentally, so really there’s something for all types of pain fetishes out there! I highly recommend rushing. Let me know if you need anymore advice! :)

-Colton

20. Greek student

This article is unreal. As a member of a sorority here I have found many opportunities to grow as a person and have not become a victim to your “groupthink.” I am also a Psychology major and I do not think the use of group think here is entirely accurate. Try again. I have actually been introduced to positive ideas from people I have met and I feel like a much better and well-rounded person because of their influence. This is a terribly inaccurate article and I suggest you do a little more research into what Greek life does value here such as philanthropy and brotherhood/sisterhood and not just drinking. There’s really a lot more to us.

**Also, I pay for my sorority by myself and have never had a problem in doing so. Some chapter houses are inexpensive because their houses have already been paid for AND nearly all of them are cheaper than living in the dorms.

21. Grey

Seriously? Where’s the facts and citations? Get this biased kid off the paper, he’s pulling words out of his ass and basing his argument off of outdated negative stereotypes. Would recommend him changing majors.

22. Another Greek Student

So based off this article I’m guessing you’re against cancer research? Cause every Greek organization on campus is involved in raising money for philanthropies such as ones that raise money for cancer research… That’s cold man

23. Katie

As an ISU and Sorority Alumna I can say this this article has absolutely no fact or argument. I have been able to apply the leadership roles and other Greek Life experiences in to my career, more than many of my actual classes. There is nothing wrong with associating yourself with a group of people such as a Sorority or Fraternity. We had fun and went to events with our friends, just as non-Greeks have fun and go to events with theirs. I can also honestly say I NEVER experienced anything remotely close to hazing as a new member.
    Before you go telling people to not join something, take a walk in the shoes of the members and get your facts straight. “Observations” mean nothing, get the facts before you try to persuade people to not join something that could truly change their life.

24. G Letters

How dare you blast the entire Greek community as a whole with this garbage. And right before rush week? Get off the paper you biased idiot.

25. Paul

Hey man, anyone that takes that cheap shot at you obviously is wrong; but it is because they lack the better way of explaining to you why it is you are wrong in your piece. You wrote it yourself that your article is based on your observations and few to little documented facts. Just like I am sure that anyone who is taking shots at you was just basing their statement off the observation on your photo and not facts about you.

If you ever want truth behind Fraternity and Sorority life, please come ask any of the hundreds of us. We would be happy to tell you why we chose the Chapter we did and why we are so proud of whom we are. I think you would be surprised to hear what we actually have to say and maybe would be inclined to retract this article. In fact, feel free to contact me at “pjburda@ilstu.edu”.

Proud now and always will be to be Greek here at Illinois State.

26. Greek life sucks

You guys should leave Chris alone. Someone wrote a comment using the name “Chris Chipman” and obviously that is not him, so whoever that is should be ashamed of themselves for trying to pretend to be somebody else. Also, in my opinion, Greek life is horrible and I have met some of the rudest and meanest people I’ve ever met in my whole entire life from sororities and fraternities at ISU.

• Kelsey

Of course not to say that every greek member is rude, or gdi’s aren’t but sororities and fraternities have certain reputations and by pledging one they now give in to those. Its not hard to generalize them because stereotypes wouldn’t exist if some weren’t true.

• Anonymous

Perhaps they were the rudest and meanest people you’ve met because you were so quick to judge them, ever thought about that?

The “rudest” and “meanest” people I’ve ever met were the GDIs that think Greek Life is so “horrible” and “detrimental”. Because of Greek Life I’ve maintained a 4.0. It’s so horrrribleee that Greek Life holds us to a strict standard in grades and philanthropy. We party hard because we work hard and we earn it. We don’t sit around complaining about how horrible other clubs are and how rude and mean their members are.

• John Deer

Yeah it’s easy maintaining that 4.0 with an easy major and seniors who give you the answers to tests.

27. Grace Johnson

I understand why people may take offense to certain parts of Chris’ column, but as his fellow columnist, I feel the need to point out a few things to our readers.

First of all, the entire purpose of his column was to present the negatives of rushing, which he did. However, there is also a column presenting the positives of Greek life (http://www.videtteonline.com/index.php/2013/08/21/pro-rush-going-greek-can-be-a-good-thing/). I wrote this column, and I mention in mine, as Chris did in his, that I am not a member of Greek life. Not everyone who is not involved in a sorority or fraternity feels as strongly about this issue, and I feel like it is necessary to point out that a column did favor Greek life, with actual opinions from current Greek members at ISU.

Second, people keep addressing this column as being “biased.” A column is supposed to be biased. It is an opinion-based piece, supported by fact. Some of you are arguing that there is no fact involved in Chris’ column, but he clearly states that these opinions are just that—opinions.

• Brittany

As a journalism student at one of the top journalism schools on the west coast, I am thoroughly embarrassed by your reply.

What you’re essentially saying is that anything goes when it comes to column writing. He didn’t support any of his facts with any credible source (besides the one fact that positively supported Greek Life). According to your standards, I could essentially say that the sky is green because someone could have once speculated the possibility.

“First of all, the entire purpose of his column was to present the negatives of rushing, which he did.” Sure, but it was so generalized that you could rip out “Greek Life” and replace it with “Co-Op”, “Football team”, and apparently “the newspaper staff” and it would all have the same meaning.

As the former public relations VP of my sorority, I can tell you right now that whether or not a person is in Greek Life can attest to the fact that this article is NOT journalism and your school as a whole should be embarrassed that this article was published under its name, and that its columnists don’t know a thing or two about column writing.

Wait, are you in college? I can’t tell. I had to double check to make sure this wasn’t a high school publication.

28. Kelsey

Although this article does lack some research and facts, it is hard to find anything on the greek life that is not an opinion. Being a student at ISU I’ve seen my good and bad in fraternities and sororities. Many of my close friends are in frats and sororities and most of the information they tell me personally is terrible, yet they still are apart of greek life. I have closely witnessed the drama and conflict in these “brother/sisterhoods”. I feel like greek life is this artificial dream that every greek member has. Even if it turns out to be the worst experience ever, they would never admit it or quit it. Sure you do have great connections in the future, but technically you’re paying for them. Rushing is basically a judgement day. Are you pretty enough? Slutty enough? Buff enough? Douchey enough? Also, I would personally not like to have a set reputation as a sorority just by joining it, even if its not true. The huge separation and conflict between the gdi’s and the greeks is a ridiculous situation that only the greeks seem to actually push. Not only do the greeks hate gdi’s but they hate each other and constantly bash other chapters. How can you support all of greek life by only supporting your own? In this article he mentioned to not even associate yourself with greeks but in reality thats exactly what the greeks think of the gdi’s, he was just the first to actually say it. Of course not every sorority and fraternity member is a terrible person but greek life has a certain reputation and they chose to succumb to it by pledging. Just because greeks do philanthropy (I highly count having tug of war contests and dance offs as actually charity work, try going to a soup kitchen) does not make up for the fact that they haze and discriminate, sorry. Many people are criticising this writer because he generalized and had lack of evidence but in reality a lot of his points are true. Seeing all of the problems these last few years with fraternities getting kicked off and sororities having legal conflicts, of to which i will not name, I wouldn’t be surprised if people thought twice about rushing. But in the end it is the individuals choice and they have been well briefed on the good and the bad. “For those who believe no proof is necessary and for those who don’t believe no proof is possible.” No matter what anyone says the individuals on the ISU campus all have their own opinions and most likely nothing will change it. Therefore people can make their own decisions.

29. worthy

with all points aside, true or false, it must suck to not be able to not afford dues.

30. Felix

It’s ignorant people like you, who write articles like this, based on blind ideas, that keep the false and negative stereotypes of Greek life alive. Please post all of the research you have done in your next article so we can all see the evidence and data you didn’t collect.

31. GDI here

Hey Greek Life Sucks, do you understand how unintelligent you sound when you generalize a group of people like that? Unless you have been in greek life and experienced it from the other side, don’t try to make assumptions. You are uniformed and out right ignorant for making comments against organization you have no true knowledge of. Chris good luck in your future if this is how you are going to go about making a article. I know for a fact if the Vidette was a serious news paper they would not have published this piece. My politics professor said he reads every news paper he can but will always stray away from the Vidette, after seeing this I know why now.

32. Don't understand

I guess I don’t understand how news of this article spread so fast to have so many comments and why so many fraternity and sorority members are so outraged. Does every group who has ever been criticized in the history of the Vidette fight back with dozens of comments? No, they don’t. It doesn’t really seem like the columnist is being that unfair to the Greek community and it doesn’t seem like the stereotypes are that bad. All that was really said is that there is hazing in the Greek community, groupthink, and the financial commitment. Those are facts. There is proof that hazing has happened in fraternities and sororities, groupthink is true because that can happen when you join a group like this and the financial part of a Greek organization could be unnecessary for someone that wants to save expenses. So this is true stuff and there shouldn’t be this much outrage.

• GDI here

• GDI here

I was once in greek life and am no longer. I’ve been a gdi, then a greek member, then a gdi again. For me to write a piece on greek life would make sense. Ive seen both sides of the fence and have a well informed opinion on the matter. When you have a columnist writing about hazing, group think, financial requirements, and the “consequences” you begin to wonder why he is writing the article at all. I might as well write an article about how it feels to be a black man in todays society (I’m white). His observation is from talking with other non-greek members, and looking from the outside in. Next time if he were to interview multiple greek members, maybe even step into the shoes of a greek member for a day with a fraternity on campus that would have made this article interesting, and very informative with credibility. just a thought.

33. Ryan

There are so many problems with this article, I do not know where to begin, so I’ll just get to it. “According to the same website mentioned above, since 1970 there has been at least one hazing death on college campuses every year.” While this fact may be true, I am aware of several hazing deaths not related to greek life. The Florida A&M band is notorious for hazing not only the new members to the band but senior members as well. Since hazing occurs in this band, the author must believe that hazing occurs in most bands since that is what this article suggests about greek life. Therefor, using the logic of the author, nobody should join band in college because you might die from hazing. Next the author points out, “Events, dances, housing and gear all costs money most of us do not have at this point in our lives, making Greek life a very poor investment at this point in time.” Yes, the author makes a solid point here, all of these events are somewhat costly to the average college student. The only difference is that, with the exception of dues, these costs are completely voluntary. I’m fairly sure the senior members in my house didn’t put a gun to my head and tell me that I had to attend Formal or Barndance. No, I did those things because they were fun, and my friends were going to be there. If the author indicates that we should not join a social house because of the costs, then no one in college should go on spring break, visit a friend at another campus, or attend college for that matter. I’m fairly sure, more students leave college having a debt toward their student loans than they do towards their fraternity or sorority dues. Finally, I would suggest that, while hazing does occur in some houses, this normally occurs in social houses. I was in a social house and am aware of the hazing aspect. I was never forced to drink copious amounts of alcohol, do drugs, or perform sexual acts. The author does a poor job of lumping all greek organizations together. I’m pretty sure there is a greek organization for future teachers on campus. Should future teachers not join this greek organization because they might be hazed? The answer is no. Poorly written article, even though it is an op-ed piece.

34. John

Good thing you got those “numerous conversations” with Greek students out of the way, because they’re probably done talking to you now. It’s ok. With all the money you save you’ll be able to buy new friends.

35. Flash

Sir, I strongly disagree with you. I’ve never felt more appreciated by a group of people in my life. The balance between friends and family becomes difficult at this time in your life because family wants you to come home and friends want you to stay. But it becomes easy when friends are family and family are friends. Go Greek. Those people will be the first ones at your wedding, and last ones at your funeral.

36. Wow

This article is almost as pointless and irrelevant as the Greek system itself. Almost.

37. Everyone Calm Down

All of these comments make me sick. This kid is allowed to have his own opinion. He didn’t print ‘slander’ against anyone. The things he said are FACTS. I am not in a sorority or fraternity, but I am great friends with many people who are. Even though they all love it, I have heard them complain about these things. My best friend was hazed to the point of almost quitting her sorority last year. These things do happen sometimes. Not a single one of you can say that they don’t. To everyone who is posting about how terrible this poor kid is- you look like bullies and just plain stupid. There is an upside and down side to LITTERALLY EVERYTHING. He stated the down side in the nicest way possible. You guys are ganging up on him. Grow up.

• Anonymous

Mmm nope last time I checked I was never hazed by my sorority, and I’m going into my senior year. Maybe YOU should check YOUR “facts”

• John Deer

Oh really? Can you back up your facts? Look at you getting your panties in a bundle over an opinion. I compare Greek life to sports fans. One ounce of criticism and they cry bloody murder. Face it, you will never wash off the stereotypes of Greek life because it comes from a true source. Now enlighten me Miss Anon with your facts or are just some drunk slut who got her feelings hurt?

• John Deer

Yep that is the reason all of us independents are not in Greek life because we did not get a bid. I bet it feels so good to be accepted because you cannot go one day on your own. You need other people to tell you how cool or pretty you look. Nice way to have low self esteem. I’ll be seeing you in my office when you have a mental breakdown.

38. *yawn*

It’s an op-ed piece, and a respectfully worded one at that—why so defensive, Greeks?

(and seriously, are you going to argue that hazing isn’t an issue in MANY Greek organizations, nationwide? My husband was president of his frat and I was a little sister for a different frat, and yeah, it definitely happens. In his frat alone, there were numerous lawsuits from injuries incurred. Or you know, do an internet search. Bet you can find plenty, and the reported ones are just a tiny fraction of what actually occurs.)

39. unique watches

Its such as you go through my head! You gaze to recognize a great deal about this particular, as if you published the publication within it or something like that. I have faith that that you can do with a bit of % to strength what it’s all about house somewhat, however as an alternative to that will, that is superb weblog. A fantastic read. We’ll unquestionably return.

40. John Deer

Look at all the mad frat/sorority sluts on this site. Face it, you only have higher GPAs because you are forced to have study time because you wouldn’t do that on your own. Also having the senior students who had the same class in the past that you are taking now will help get those answers and homework. You need someone or a group to tell you what to do. No individuality within Greek life. You are part of a group that shares the same philosophy (slut, fat, drunk, bitchy, asshole, etc.). Yeah you do you charities once maybe twice a year but that money goes into your parties so you can wasted, which is the goal of being Greek. That’s similar to a prostitute going to Sunday confession and thinking she is sin free for the coming week. Yeah you can say most people who go greek are successful but that’s only because they only hire the same people over and over again. Look at the US Government politicians. Most of them were in Frats or Sororities and guess what, we keep having the same problems with them (greed, wrath, lust, etc.). It’s like what the Whoe said “meet the new boss, same as the old boss” nothing will change. It’s the same type of people in and out but with a different name. So really Greek life is only beneficial for Greek life. You are either in or out. I find it funny that as a hiring manager, interviewees will come in asking for a job and they try to play the “I was in greek life in college” angle and I just tell them, “well what professional experience do you have” all they would tell me is something they did in college. Sorry frat boy, looks like the independent wins.

• Please stop

I’m not sure why people are getting so worked up. This is his opinion. I do wish he would have not shown the Greek community in such a bad light though. To respond to the comment above, I would just like to inform you that my sorority was one of the top 3 fundraisers for St. Jude this year and because of that, ISU’s flag is now hung on the walls of the hospital for the patients to see. We worked our butts off at multiple philanthropy events to raise over $36,800. So I would appreciate it if you would stop the aggressive comments when you don’t truly know that facts.

41. Know your facts

To the author and editor of this column. This was very uncalled for. The greek community works very hard to uphold a high reputation wth high academic standard, community service, and friendships that will last a century. The all sorority gpa was higher than the university average….that says something. Don’t knock it before you try it!! Its upsetting that youwould want to talk poorly and spread rumors about organizations that mean so much to hundreds of students here at ISU. When I read the vidette I enjoy reading articles about the news and my school, but when articles are written that are false, and offensive it is wrong. So please think twice before you write and keep your opinion to yourself!