The Hy-Vee grocery store chain could open its doors in Bloomington by the end of 2014.
The store is looking at taking the place of the previous K’s Merchandise building if plans for the opening are approved by the city.
If plans are made official, the Bloomington Hy-Vee would be located at 1407 N. Veterans Parkway.
“The store could hire up to 560 to 600 employees,” Ruth Comer, assistant vice president of Media Relations for Hy-Vee, said.
The supermarket would have plenty of room for part-time
workers — up to 70 percent, with the remaining 30 percent to be hired on as full-time staff.
High school and college students are typically hired to fill in part-time work positions because their schedules work well with the store’s hours.
“All different types of career opportunities would be available,” Comer said.
Job openings and prospects include a bakery, a meat department, a pharmacy and a wine and spirits section. Plans for a cheese shop and a section for organic products are also in the works.
Other employment opportunities include dieticians, certified chefs, as well as part-time positions such as cashiers, counter help and grocery stockers.
A supervising team from current stores would be brought in to manage the store overall.
“Once the approval process is complete, they can put together the final plan,” Comer explained.
“There is no timetable yet on the process — once we get the approval we can start building.”
The building process could take about a year or more before completion, she added.
The store currently employs about 68,000 people, she said. The total sales for the store amounted to $8 billion, and ranks in the top 25 supermarket chains in the country.
Known for its outstanding customer service and low prices, the opening of Hy-Vee will provide shoppers with the unique opportunity to find everything they are looking for in one place.
The store works to accentuate variety and convenience to its customers on a daily basis.
Hy-Vee is one of the top grocery stores in the country for customers to seek out information on health and nutrition.
The store focuses on providing its customers with a multitude of options when grocery shopping. From floral departments to a full-service restaurant, Market Grille, the store will exceed shoppers’ expectations.
The employee-owned store has recently been awarded the Whole Health Enterprise Award by Supermarket News because of its leadership in giving shoppers services and items that encourage a healthy lifestyle.
The first Hy-Vee debuted in Beaconsfield, Iowa in 1930, and has achieved an enormous amount of success since.
With 234 stores open today in eight different states, the grocery franchise will only continue to flourish across the Midwest.
For more information about to the franchise, to pick up tips on healthy eating and get coupons for saving money on grocery items, check out Hy-Vee’s official website,