As I get older, there are so many things that I wish I could say to myself. There is something so finite about life at that young of an age. It feels as if you are god-like. As a young adult, I still had the mentality that I was “immortal”. I was too young to die and I had a lot of living to do. Death just was not in the equation, nor was failure or any of those issues that troubled others. Them, not me.
That was almost a decade ago. What lay herein are a few things I wish I could have said to myself what seems like just days ago:
- You are not the center of the universe. Treat others more like you want to be treated.
- Like it or not, one day you will no longer be here. Live a life that is full of memories that will enhance your experience.
- (Using common colloquialisms of the time) Do not let them haters get at ya. Just brush yo shoulder off.
- Enjoy your family. You will miss them when they are gone.
- Despite what you think, you are NOT, in fact, the smartest person in the world. Adjust life accordingly.
- Pay attention to what you say and do around your sibling. They model what you do, even if you do not take notice.
- Get out more! Life will soon be underway. Make sure to take some time from the rat race of life to stroll around a bit.
- Try not to be so angry at everyone. Let your 27-year-old self do that for you and with good reason.
- Your mother is the smartest person on earth. Adjust life accordingly.
- Read more. It will unlock more doors in your mind than any key gathered from a television program.
- People are like food. Some are sweet, some are sour. You have a sweet tooth. Get rid of the sour.
- Never be afraid to say ‘yes’ or ‘no’ to those whom you care about most. They will respect you more as long as you can give good reason.
- Finally, just be you.
I suppose it is seven years too late but some of these are still very relevant. I hope I can take my own advice.