The free time that comes with summer vacation can often be a great incentive for making travel plans, but often those plans seem far-fetched. Here are a few tips to help make those travel goals a reality:
1. Put money aside: There are several ways to save financially for your traveling experience, doing little things that can add up over time. Adding your extra change to a change jar adds up and cutting back on buying that morning coffee or lunch on your break can save up to $25 a week. Another way is to create a “travel fund” account, which sets aside a certain amount of money from each paycheck. By not seeing the money, you are less likely to spend it on other possessions.
2. Reserve days off: By setting a date and taking days off of work in advance, you are more likely to use those days off and stick to your travel plan. Giving yourself extended time away from work will encourage you to make use of your spare time. Set aside vacation time early if you are planning to travel during popular traveling seasons, ensuring that someone else will not get the time off in your place.
3. Tip jar: Fill a jar with traveling tips you collect over time. Write the tips on pieces of paper and put them in the jar. Keep the jar in sight to remind you of your traveling goals. When you’re ready to travel, go through the tips and use what applies to the trip at hand. This encourages you to stick to trips, while also helping you plan efficiently and make traveling simpler.
4. Start with small travel goals: Get into the habit of traveling by starting with smaller trips. Go on weekend camping trips, hiking, or water park resorts that can be done with a small group, or individually. This will help you pick up traveling tips as you go and also get you into the habit of leaving your comfort zone. You’ll feel a sense of accomplishment when you are able to budget for a small trip, working your way up to higher goals.
5. Set up airfare alerts: There are several sites that you can use to set up airfare alerts, which will notify you with the best deals for flying. Since airfare changes regularly and can be cheaper at odd times, this is a great way to help you save money. It also encourages you to book flights in advance, making you more willing to stick to your trips and put in the extra effort to budget and plan accordingly.