You are the owner of this page.

Vidette History

The Vidette, located at the corner of University and Locust in Normal, Ill., was founded in 1888. Throughout its 125-plus year history, The Vidette’s basic role has remained the same — to provide a voice for the students of ISU.

The first Videttes were printed as pamphlets. In 1906 the newspaper switched to weekly publication. In 1915 the newspaper began receiving student fees and discontinued charging subscribers. Publication frequency changed from weekly to semiweekly in 1934, but returned to weekly in 1943. It was not until 1962 that the newspaper was restored to biweekly publication. Frequency of publication increased to three days per week in 1969, four days per week in 1973, five days per week in 1976, four days per week in 2013 and semi-weekly in 2014. The Vidette also maintains a website, Videtteonline.com.

IMAGES FROM THE VIDETTE'S PAST

Vidette, circa 1943

Vidette, circa 1943

Vidette, circa 1944


Vidette, circa 1964


 

Vidette, circa 1970

Vidette, circa 1970

Vidette, circa 1970s

Vidette, circa 1970s


Vidette, circa 1980s


 Vidette, 2018