The Illinois State University Redbirds (0-1) lost to the Northwestern Wildcats (1-0) 6-1 on Wednesday.
This was the first regular season match for both teams. ISU’s sole victory came from newly-arrived freshman Melker Isaksson (def. Russell Berdusco 7-5, 7-5).
Despite the unfavorable result, Illinois State’s Head Coach Mark Klysner was pleased with the team’s effort.
“What a great match tonight,” Klysner said.
“Although the score wasn’t what we would like, I thought we fought hard on every court. For it being the first match of the spring, we literally were a few points away in several courts from making the score much closer. Huge congrats to our freshman, Melker Isaksson, who just arrived last week and played a fantastic match to start his college career.”
The team will be back in action on Saturday when they take on Wisconsin at 11 a.m. and Chicago State at 3 p.m. at the University of Wisconsin.
Northwestern 6, Illinois State 1
1. Steven Forman (NU) def. Diego Le Gal Perez (ISU) 6-0, 7-5
2. Dominik Stary (NU) def. Jorge Adair Bartra Quispe (ISU) 6-2, 6-1
3. Nick Brookes (NU) def. Pol Botifoll Rius (ISU) 6-4, 6-4
4. Trice Pickens (NU) def. Nam Pham (ISU) 6-1, 6-4
5. Simen Bratholm (NU) def. Aleksa Lazarevic (ISU) 6-2, 6-2
6. Melker Isaksson (ISU) def. Russell Berdusco (NU) 7-5, 7-5
1. Nick Brookes/Simen Bratholm (NU) vs. Jorge Adair Bartra Quispe / Diego Le Gal Perez (ISU) 5-4, unfinished
2. Chris Ephron/Dominik Stary (NU) def. Brandon Lew/Melker Isaksson (ISU) 6-3
3. Steven Forman/Trice Pickens (NU) def. Nam Pham/Aleksa Lazarevic (ISU) 6-1