Glitter iPhone cases are the popular thing. They may not protect your phone from bumps and drops, but they are fashionable.
However, now they are also causing horrifying problems for users nationwide.
The phone cases are made of plastic and contain a glitter “waterfall-like” style on the back of the cover. This style of phone cases has become very popular. The cases have been sold nationwide at Henri Bendel, Nordstrom Rack and Tory Burch for about two years now, costing between $10 and $70.
About 275,000 iPhone cases have been recalled because of concerns about them leaking and causing burns and blisters. Many manufactures are under water because they sell the glitter iPhone cases. The most popular retailers include Victoria’s Secret and Amazon. So far, 24 cases of chemical burns have been reported, with 19 of them having been in the U.S.
“For the last day and a half I have been smelling gas on my hands and burning when I touched my face," 28-year-old Amber Sterling wrote on Facebook. "It took me a good bit but I finally realized it was from my phone case! It was leaking."
During an interview with Seventeen magazine, Sterling said she bought the case from an AT&T store and the brand was Case-Mate, a popular phone case company. Sterling is hoping to get the liquid in the case tested to see what is causing the burns.
“I'm hoping to get it tested. I felt it burning — like an irritation burning, like I had a chemical on my face. My fingers definitely smelled of gas/lighter fluid.”
Case-Mate also agreed to do an interview with Seventeen.com. It stated that, "Waterfall cases contain a safe mineral oil that creates the dynamic floating effect of the glitter. The contents are certified safe through an independent, third-party lab.”
Although companies like Case-Mate are reliable sources to buy cases, something else must be done to check the liquid inside of these cases because many people are getting harmed from this.
One Twitter user, who wanted to remain anonymous, told Buzzfeed that she was affected by the burns, even through her phone was in her pocket. “Throughout the day, I felt a burning sensation on my leg but I thought they were just razor burns or something,” she said the injury is still painful after a month.
Last year, a 9-year-old girl from England was left with an iPhone-shaped burn on her leg after the glitter leaked from her case, through her pants and onto her leg.
Though the glitter-style cases have all been recalled at a variety of stores, the leaks have been most reported from a manufacturing error during production in China, which is then sold in stores in the U.S.
The designs being recalled are listed on MixBin’s website. The company is pushing people to immediately stop using the case to avoid any more damages.
Social media users have used their platform to share photos of these burns and warn others to stop using the phone cases because the leaks can happen to anyone at any time.
Many of the women who have come forward about the burns have stated that they did not believe it could happen to them, but it did. Although these cases are cute and fashionable, more needs to be done during the manufacturing process to ensure safety.
No one should have to suffer from permanent and month-long burns and scars because of a manufacturing mistake.