With the start of my senior year, I've found myself reflecting on the past few years. As cliché as it sounds, theres so many things I know now that I wish I knew when I first started college. Here are five things I wish I could go back and tell my freshman self.
- Get involved: When I first began college, I didn't understand the importance of joining an organization. Whether its a registered student organization (RSO), sorority or fraternity, or just volunteering on your own, I highly recommend getting involved in something! Not only are they great resume points, but organizations provide you with many opportunities you wont get in the classroom. Organizations can provide you with networking opportunities, member benefits and real world experiences. Theres bound to be an organization on campus that interests you.
- Be serious, but not too serious: Its obviously important to take your education seriously; thats why were all here. But its important to remember to loosen up sometimes too. Its okay to take a night off and hang out with your friends. Just dont do it all the time. College is your last four years before you go out into the real world. Remember to save some time for yourself to have fun.
- Stay active: Its easy to get caught up in the chaos that comes with a class schedule. I wish I would've been better about working out most days a week. Your personal health is just as important as anything else you have going on. Leave time for yourself to go the rec center or to do some form of physical activity. Its a great stress reliever too!
- Ask for help: Youre here for a reason- school. If you dont understand something or need help with an assignment, dont be afraid to ask for help. I used to think that professors were these intimidating people who were too busy to bother with students. But believe me that is so wrong! People who teach college courses do it because theyre passionate about their field. They want to help you succeed. Theyll never know you need help unless you ask. Ive also found that some professors remember when you show you care about learning and will take that into consideration when grading.
- Meet new people: Its natural to want to remain close with your high school friends. Its also natural for friendships to fade away and to meet new people. College is a time to find out who you are. Theres no reason to feel like you have to hang out with anybody. Hang out with people who you enjoying being around and who make you a better person.
Returning students, what do you wish you could go back to tell your freshman self?